Saturday, August 20, 2005

Work in Progress



This is a piece I am working on for Jeroen called, Incubation. It's part of a larger visual conversation we're having about terror and the media.

Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, this piece began as a response to a card j0llyr0ger sent me which asked "What Became of the Elephant?" Because I have an anecdotal story about my husband and I almost being trampled by elephant in South Africa, (anecdotal only because it didn't happen) I grabbed one of those photos. That's how it started with a picture of an elephant that was going to be reflected in this window, but the image wasn't working. So, when the process of creation went in a different direction, I followed it. Before long I had the makings of what you see here. I love the way that happens. (Though I still want to make a card to send to j0llyr0ger!)

These are some of the photos I used to create this image (click to see them a little larger):




You can see I've taken elements from several different sources. The jars in the window are Maple Syrup color samples from the sap house at my neighbor's farm. The wires are spark plug wires from an vintage tractor. The girl's face is from a photo I took during our visit to South Africa in March 2004. I created the circuit balls with a circuit board photo and the stamp I created using Illustrator.

This still isn't quite finished, but I invite comments and critique.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is cool. Do you have more like this?

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger kiyotei & aimee said...

Freaky...scary and somehow all the disjointed images merge together and look quite natural. Reminds me of my grandparents farm and the strange things you could find by poking around the barn. She used to hang bottles from her trees with some yellowy liquid that attracted flies and they ended up dead in the concoction.

I like this very much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home