Thursday, November 03, 2005

No Apology Necessary

This morning I showed my husband the latest book I made. This one is entitled Screams in a Dream III and is similar in construction to the Sans Issue piece below.

He looked at it. Held it. After several seconds he said "It's rather horizontal," and handed it back. I laughed, agreed, and left the room to get another cup of coffee - thankful he didn't say it was "interesting."

A little while later as he was saying good-bye for the day he said "I'm sorry I don't get your art. I mean I appreciate that it's probably well thought out and well constructed. I know it has a message and I'm sure it's very wonderful. But I don't really get it."

I was really touched by his genuine sincerity. I assured him it was ok. After more than twenty years together I know my art isn't meant for a brain like his, and told him so.

To further let him off the hook I confessed that as much as I want to, I don't think I really get Concrete Poetry. I try, I seek it out, I enjoy much of it, and think I even generate some, but I can't say with any certainty that I "get it."

He answered that surely then it would be wasted on him - because everyone knows I like weird shit.

He's a really good husband. And my biggest fan.

1 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger - Christine said...

Ha! Sounds like you do understand Pati.

He's not an engineer (but two of his brothers are so it runs in the family), he's the director of an educational center...mainly for at-risk students and adult learners - so he at least appreciates "unconventionality."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home