Friday, September 09, 2005

Star Six Nine

On two separate occasions this week, days apart, I misdialed the phone number for my local health clinic - mistakenly calling a different number each time. The buttons on cell phones are FAR too small.

Anyway, two hours after the first misdial on Tuesday, I answered my phone and a woman's voice demanded to know "Who is this?"

Of course I asked, "Who is asking?"

"You called me." she said.

"No, you called me." I corrected her.

"You called me" she insisted, "two hours ago. Your number is on my caller ID."

"Oh, I'm sorry. That was by mistake."

"Oh." She seemed disappointed. She said good-bye and did what ever the cell phone equivalent of hanging up is. (Flipped me off?)

Then, on Thursday my phone rang again and basically a similar conversation took place, this time for a call I had placed in error the day before.

"What did you want?" She asked.

"I'm sorry, I dialed incorrectly." I answered. "I didn't mean to call you."

"Well who were you calling?"

At that point I tilted my head and held the phone in front of my face where I could see it, thinking, "This is progress?" I probably scowled. I said good-bye.

I like technology, but I must say it would never occur to me to call a number simply because it showed up on caller ID. Could it be I'm weird?

But I've since thought about it and am ready if I should I ever dial a wrong number again, I will respond with stuff like "I was calling on behlalf of the Prize Patrol, but you weren't available so we had to go to the next name on the list."

I welcome any ideas you might have!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home