Saturday, February 11, 2006

Celebrate St. Hallmark's Day Properly

Now let me go on record that I like Valentines’ Day. I'm all for every opportunity to tell someone they're loved, but I'm sick of the lengths companies go to consumerize affection and attempt to guilt or frighten us into action. This year I am especially disgusted by a certain drugstore chain that suggests in their advertising that it’s not really the thought that counts. Ugh.

So I am sharing with you and the world a tradition my husband and I devised a few years ago that allows us to recognize February 14th without filling the tills of chain-store hawkers.

It’s easy and fun. We do it every year.

We go to a card store together and browse the card racks until we each find a card we would like to give the other. We exchange cards. Read them. Kiss, laugh, or both! Then put them back and leave.

There you have it. It's fun and gets us out of the house! You try it!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger MarkD60 said...

I just got home from a very frustrating evening of trying to find a box of chocolates.
I never did find a decent card, I ended up with one thats too sweet.
your's is great idea.
A work buddy and I were joking (only JOKING!!) about buying a rose bush, then every year, dragging her out to the bush, point at it, "Here's your freekin' flowers!"
We were joking, let me re-emphasize.

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger - Christine said...

Haha! I love it. I think you should go ahead and do the bush idea. It could come in handy lots of times through out the year!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger ejs said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home